Wow! This one little word comes to mind to describe these big wonders! Girlfriends (and boyfriends!), these are not your ho hum Pillsbury slice-and-bakes. These babies will have your family, friends, neighbors, mailman...you name it, knocking at your door for more. Thick, buttery dough generously studded with chocolate chunks, semi-sweet chips, and toasted walnuts merits these "ultimate." The secret to these cookies is the addition of corn starch which adds a level of depth that your typical chocolate chippers lack. Come one, come all (with a cold glass of milk in tow!), it's cookie time!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter - cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1 teaspoon table or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup good quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup good quality semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
2. Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips, chunks and nuts.
3. Transfer dough to clean work surface and gently mix dough by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Divide into 12 equal portions, **about 4 oz each
4. Place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven 15-20 minutes depending on how gooey and raw’ish’ you like the interior, until very lightly browned, taking care not to overbake. Let cool on rack and store in an airtight container.
These are best eaten on the day they are made (ESPECIALLY warm out of the oven!). To freshen them after a few days (if they last that long), give them a quick nuke in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.
Makes about 12-14 cookies
** 6 oz portions (why not!) will give you about 8-10 cookies – bake another 3-5 minutes at 375F