Sunday, August 15, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I am a huge fan of cake, and red velvet is one of my favorite. I decided it was time to bake up my own batch of red velvet cupcakes, but I wanted them to turn out extra special. Sometimes cakes and cupcakes are too dense and dry, so I did a little research on the science of creating cake recipes. After a little work and calculating, I created my own red velvet cupcake recipe just to my liking. I like a moist and tender cake that will still hold its shape, and this recipe delivers. I frosted these cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, and filled them with a vanilla pudding whipped cream cheese mix. All I can say is DELICIOUS!
Cake:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 canola oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 bottle (1 oz) red food coloring
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Frosting:
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 - 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
Filling:
  • 1/4 the batch of the cream cheese frosting
  • 1 cup cool whip
  • 2 -3 tbsp vanilla pudding (optional)
Cake Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and set aside. In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Then beat in the eggs and egg yolk one at a time followed by the oil. Mix in the buttermilk, food coloring and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low until blended. Do not over beat. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.

Frosting Directions:
Beat the cream cheese, butter and Crisco in a large bowl until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar on medium speed until fluffy.

Filling Directions:
In a small to medium size bowl take 1/4 of your reserved frosting mixture and add the Cool Whip and pudding. Mix well by hand until fluffy.




1 comment: